Saint Francis, Santiago, Sto. Domingo

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon Dec 24 15:58:31 PST 2001

Dear fellow list-serve members,
    It was announced that Christmas (The Mass of Christ) would be celebrated
outdoors in Santiago de Compostela, with the altar surrounded by stable
animals in honor of that "most distinguished and beloved" Santiago pilgrim,
St. Francis of Assisi.
    As is well known, the Christmas celebrations that we enjoy today were
commenced by St. Francis.   At the beginning of the thirteenth century St.
Francis decided to remind parishioners of the first Christmas.  He celebrated
Mass outdoors
on an improvised altar which he surrounded with lambs, goats, chickens, a cow
and a donkey. That was the first "presepio" in Christian history which today
is duplicated by the millions all over the earth.
    After Baby Jesus was born, in a stable, He was placed on the animals
feeding trough ("manger" from the French "to eat"), and warmed by the breath
of a donkey and a cow.  It was this scene that St. Francis replicated and
which will be repeated in Santiago in St. Francis' honor.
    In Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian, Christmas midnight Mass is
also often called "Mass of the rooster", owing to the traditional Christian
belief that the night that Jesus was born was the only night, ever, that a
rooster crowed at midnight.  Because of the close identification of Sto.
Domingo de la Calzada with roosters (and hens) midnight Mass is also
celebrated with animals in attendance, but I do not know whether the roosters
in residence, (which crow all day when the Cathedral is open, as we all
know), or other roosters invited for the occasion, do actually crow at
midnight.
    Someone referred to this list as an emotional and spiritual albergue.  It
has certainly been that to me, albeit with its occasional discomfort (it
wouldn't be an albergue otherwise).  I want you to know that your
cyber-company and friendship means a great deal to me, and that I appreciate
the concern, help and support
that you so abundantly proffered a couple of  months ago.  Bless you! and,
                        Feliz Navidad
                        Merry Christmas
                        Buon Natale
                        Joyeux Noel
                        Feliz Natal
    Let us wish and pray for peace on earth to people of good will, and, most
urgently, for peace on the Land of Jesus' birth.
    Affectionately,
Rosina