Templars and Tau

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Sat Dec 22 22:35:41 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elyn Aviva" <TajminaaAOL.COM>
To: <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: Templars and Tau

> Thanks much! The website is invaluable. But I STILL don't understand why
> Tomas uses the Tau cross. Could someone explain what I'm missing?
> Thanks!
> Elyn

Elyn:

I don't think you're missing anything, Elyn.  The answer is that Tomas
probably does not understand or care whether the cross he displays is Tau,
Potent, Jerusalem, Maltese, Fleury or any other shape commonly employed to
distinguish one chivalric order from another.  He may indeed belong to some
contemporary organization that has adopted as its badge a Tau cross, but
since the real Templars were suppressed (not actually abolished, but
restrained) in 1312 by Pope Clement V, any group calling themselves Templars
today would have to have been granted the "Rule" by a subsequent Pope in
order to be legitimate. The Templar Order was never revived by Papal edict
subsequent to 1312. Nevertheless, there are perhaps a dozen self styled
organizations in Europe, Latin America and the United States claiming they
are "Templars". Each of them has adopted a different cross as the insignia
of their respective "order".

I enjoyed my talk with Tomas and for all I know he may be an honorable man
in every respect. He can call himself whatever he wants as far as I'm
concerned. If he provides assistance to those in need and engages in other
charitable activities, so much the better. Sadly, however, he is not a real
Templar nor can the group to which he belongs (assuming he does) claim any
legitimate link to the genuine article.