request for openness

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Fri Dec 7 21:46:56 PST 2001

In a message dated 12/7/2001 9:37:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bone1966aYAHOO.COM writes:

> It seems VERY impolite to post Howard's
> private message to the list.

Wholeheartedly agree especially when a sentence fragment is taken out of its
context.  Also, I am trying to avoid controversy that erupted when I simply
suggested that endless discussions cluttering listserve about numbers of
pilgrims during various millenia were not what I think most people would be
fascinated by, save those vociferous folks who took personal umbrage and
lashed out at me on listserve.

In an attempt to spare all of you others from my comments directed at the
perpetrators of the abstruse historical archeology, I decided to contact
those who attacked me personally by using private emails.

I enjoy listserve and want it to be fun to read.  But after a while when some
of the well-meaning members use it as a platform to "show off" their academic
cleverness, I find it not a "goldmine" as Barry seems to celebrate, but
tedious and boring.  Also I find it condescending to be told to use the
delete button if a topic like numbers  is the subject.  I refuse to delete
messages I get because I'm afraid that part of the message from someone may
have some merit even though the subject may not state everything in contained
in a message.  Enough said.  Howard Mendes NYC