Pilgrim numbers (was: Michener)

Maria Schell mariaschellaEARTHLINK.NET
Tue Dec 4 19:13:25 PST 2001

To the question of increase during the last 20 years...
It is also my understanding that the European Union dumped a lot of money
into the Camino because of its historical importance in the development of
Western Europe.  I also would imagine that the interest in the 80's would
have a lot to do with the political changes in Spain from dictatorship to
democracy (which happened around 1976) and a new more open attitude to
foreigners that weren't just interested in the Costa del Sol and a Flamenco
show.  Could be wrong though!
Maria