Michener

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Sun Dec 2 21:34:47 PST 2001

You Wrote:
"But who wants to think about that fact anyway?  It gives us
pride as does the 500,000 number.

Mac"

Mac:

I'm sorry to hear that you derive "pride" from information that is
questionable; may not be true, and that you don't want "to think about that
fact".  I believe that our list members are trying to learn about the Camino
and it's history, not whether people want to believe in false information that
builds self worth.

Many historical "facts" have been shown to be false in the light of further
scholarship.  This may be one of those occurrences,  I don't currently know the
truth and hope the list members continue to discuss the numbers of people who
made the pilgrimage based on our current knowledge of historical facts.

I'm sorry if I have offended you but I think the list is dedicated to knowledge
rather than "not thinking about facts."

Bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue