5 things I wish I had known (part 2)

Russ Irwin rirwinaUSAOR.NET
Fri Aug 31 23:10:05 PDT 2001

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your description of your pilgrimage. I enjoy reading everybody's accounts after
they've returned. One of the things that I find most interesting is that, while we all have
something in common, our experiences differ so much. To me it is that "difference" that can be so
rewarding.

>In the six weeks I was doing practice walks for the Camino, my new shoes
>were fine. At the end of Day 1, my feet refused to go 5km further in
>search of a refugio which was not full, and on Day 2, they advised me
>after only 10km, that it might be better to treat the day as a rest day.
>Thereafter, there was not one day where my feet were comfortable.

This is one of those differences that I find interesting. My feet *never* gave me any problem (I
wore good hiking shoes during the day, and sandals after I got to a refugio and never even got the
slightest blister). However, everything above my feet did give me problems. While my legs eventually
worked it all out, my back finally did me in after 2 weeks of walking with an ill fitting backpack.
(to be exact it was the top of my spine, which evidentually became so painful that it hurt just to
touch it)

>3 Showers.
>The refugios which charge 500 ptas a night charge 300 ptas for access to
>showers and washing facilities. Otherwise donativos.

I  never saw a refugio that charged extra for showers and washing facilities.

>4. Toilet roll
>On the first day, I felt for a North American who was stuck in an
>albergue toilet without the Spanish necessary to ask for some toilet
>roil (papel higienico). Whether you find paper available or not seems
>subject to the laws of lottery - or the number of people who have been
>there before you.20

This may have been due to your going in the summer peak season. I walked in May and never
experienced a lack of toilet paper in the refugios. I did carry a half roll of it in my backpack,
however, but only had to use it once and that was on the trail :-(

Russ