Post Camino stuff

Anderson, Lida andeliaCONSUMER.ORG
Wed Aug 8 08:50:55 PDT 2001

Gabrielle,

I am speechless ... thank you for sharing.

your feedback reinforces my mission to DO IT!

I will be in touch...

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabrielle Milanich [mailto:EshlingaAOL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 5:24 PM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: Post Camino stuff

Lida,

I think I am still processing my experience.  This is odd that you should
ask
on this day, because I just now received an e-mail from two friends I made
while on the Camino.  I had left a message for them in the Pilgrim's Office
in Santiago, but didn't have high hopes of them getting it.  But lo and
behold...!  They actually fell in love and one is going to Rio to be with
the
other.  I am so happy for them, I could spit!  I say this is funny because
Inge and I got into a very lengthy and deeply spiritual conversation while
in
Viana.  Unfortunately, while there, I had yet to truly relax enough and get
over the fear of being in Spain on my own.  I had yet to truly feel the path

under my feet.  I lost track of both she and Paulo that next day, but was
able to remember her kind words everyday thereafter.

Therefore, to answer your question, I discovered who I was and what I was
capable of on my first Camino.  I was able to overcome emotional, physical,
mental, and spiritual blockades that have followed me my entire life.  Now,
it wasn't the cure-all, but it came very close.  As Russ said, everyday, I
think of the Camino, remember new and little things, and gain new important
insights into my self and my life - both in terms of my past, present and
future.  I cannot define how I changed.  I am a more relaxed and patient
person.  I have abandoned many masques that keep me from revealing my true
self to people.  Even this post...I would not have been able to be this open

before.  I have little to hide now.  I also have returned with great hope
for
people in general.  People, as individuals and as a whole, are wondrous
creatures.  I had little faith in strangers, and now, I have so much respect

and wonder for them.

Pieter from Holland, who is on this list, once said to me (I am
paraphrasing)
that he knew many pilgrims who have walked the Camino and many who have yet
to walk.  He holds greater respect for those who have yet to walk, are
afraid, but do it anyway.  I agree with him entirely and he was/is a great
inspiration for me.  But you will have the experience of a lifetime on your
journey!  You will also find that this next year goes too fast and suddenly
you will find yourself answering a question, such as yours, for another
would-be pilgrim, and your own physical Camino will have concluded.  Savor
this time of excitement.  Savor every step you take.

Upon leaving O'Cebreiro, I came upon a message on the ground written out in
stones.  It said "Let each step be a kiss."  When you are lonely, or having
pain, or are hungry and tired and uncertain where the next refugio is,
something or someone will come along to lighten your load, and will be
rejuvenated to begin again the next day.

One of the wonderful things is that the Camino lives on even after you leave

Santiago.  I sometimes feel as though I am able to sense and even hear the
pilgrims who are walking even as I write this.  (Okay maybe right now they
are turning off lights in the refugios and going to sleep.)  But once you
walk upon the same soil as have many before you, you will know exactly what
mean.

I am truly excited for you that you are undertaking this endeavor.  I wish
you a truly Buen Camino.  Walk with strength, with honesty, with courage and

with love and you will be blessed.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, as I am an open book.  For
everyone embarking on their first Caminos, plan, make arrangements during
this time, anticipate what will happen, but when the time comes to take the
first step, let it tall go.  You will find you are on the path you were
meant
to be and you will have everything that you need.

Blessings,
Gabrielle