Fiscal Question (Camino)

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Fri Aug 3 12:24:11 PDT 2001

kzemanaSAS.UPENN.EDU

Kandice M Zeman

Dear Kandice,
An exciting time planning the details of a pilgrimage.
Yes, you are correct <<Perhaps it's tacky to reduce a pilgrimage
to the level of money but a it's real-world concern nonetheless...>>>

You do need to work out the costs of your trip and it is very sensible to
consider just what amounts you need.

1. Overnight stops: You have a rough estimate to work on.<<We are planning to
stay in refuges I know refuges are cheap (I've seen anywhere from free to
under a 1000 pesetas on web sites), >>
ALWAYS ALLOW FOR A DONATION even when it is not requested.

2. Food: <>
              You may find it cheaper in the long run to take advantage of
the special priced menus, plus I understand there is no kitchen in some of
the refuges.
             <<<nothing extravagant>> food being such a personal choice only
you can work this out but do remember it is food that gives the energy and
well being enabling you to have a fit and healthy pilgrimage. Well before
leaving home begin a course of multi-vitamin pills; alter your feeding habits
allowing your body to adjust to a more Spartan diet. Most importantly
increase your fluid intake and whilst on the pilgrimage drink, drink lots of
free Spanish water. For the first week it may help to drink both bottled and
then the following weeks as your body adjusts plenty of fresh water. You can
begin to increase your water intake. A fit body is less expensive especially
when away from home. If on the pilgrimage you are going to rise early in the
morning to begin walking then begin training now, early to bed, early to rise
and stay on your feet a little longer each day.

3. Total Costs: << realistically at the end of 4 weeks, how much money might
one go through? >>>> A difficult answer but one you can work out yourself now
by staying away from your home base for a day or longer and keeping a record
of what you spend.

Money:<< it's real-world concern nonetheless>>>
What about being sponsored to aid a Third World Charity or contact a family
direct such as the Ghurkha's in Nepal?
Arrange to pay a fixed sum into your bank savings account each
week or month. This will soon mount up especially if you keep
adding to it. Sell unwanted items at car-boot (garage) sales, make
items for sale. Most important thing start now; let your folks and
friends know Santiago Cash Funds will be appreciated in place of
the usual gifts.
Learn the different values of Spanish coins and notes and you will
never pay too much for anything.
Read; digest all the history of the Santiago de Compostela, pilgrims
diaries and web sites and then raise funds by giving talks. It comes
easier after the first time especially if you are well researched but
you will always be nervous no matter how much of an expert you
become. Put a request out on all the Santiago Mailing list asking for
slide photographs and you will gain an experience of the Camino
Fellowship.

I know you will enjoy the same love, friendship, encouragement and joy
that I have received over these past few months leading
up to my first Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage.
I am a 63-year-old male with mobility problems and will start
from Logrono, using a donkey and cart with Acacio as Guide.
He is from Brazil, speaks English and knows the Camino.
Every Blessing to both you and your friend.
From
Howard

Howard Murphy,
81 George Street