Speaking Spanish

Jessica Hopkins jesnmochaYAHOO.COM
Sat Apr 21 14:42:47 PDT 2001

Russ (and anyone else interested),

20 years ago, when my spanish was very rusty, I spent
4 hours on a train, seated with an Italian woman and
two Brazilian men, whilst in Peru.

For almost 4 hours I thought we were all speaking
Spanish, and that my Spanish had REALLY deteriorated.
I was sooo relieved when, near the end of the journey,
one of the Brazilian men said something to the effect
of how wonderful it was that we'd been able to
communicate so well in three different languages! And,
yes, we had.

However, I'm not familiar with any local
dialects/vocabulary/accents along the Camino. My hope
is that with a mixture of Spanish hospitality, and
experience of meeting people from around the world who
struggle to be understood on the Spaniard's side, and
a fairly good grasp of the rules of Charades :-)on
mine, that I'll survive.

Have a wonder full trip. Blessings, Jessica