Spiritual, Cultural or Interior Conversion Thread

Preston Pittman preston_pittmanaHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 20 07:08:21 PDT 2001

Margaret, answering your initial question and our "off the list serve"
communication:
The concept of the Camino is very multi-demesnional for me.  On the cultural
side I find it a focus for my jumbled interests in medieval history,
medieval languages, architecture and music.  Considering the influence of
the Pilgrimage to Santiago in all these areas has enriched my "amateur"
studies (I don't earn my living in this area, although it is what I studied
in college).

On the Spiritual side, I have been fascinated with the concept of the Camino
as both an allegory of our life journeys, a mirror of how we deal with
experiences and challenges in our "regular" lives, and a potential
transformer of our interior spiritual lives.  There is a lot of literature
about the transformational aspect of the Camino and the curious connection
of ancient Celts, Templars, Kabbalists, Sufis, Illumanati, alchemists,
Cluniacs and Fransciscans.  A combination of study, meditation,
contemplation and prayer engaging all these aspects and sources has given me
a deeper appreciation for the Catholic Church (with all of its blessings and
problems).
pax,
Preston