More siesta stuff

John Wordsman jwords62aHOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 18 04:25:41 PDT 2001

Dear Jennifer, Most of the refugios I encountered in April/May 2000 opened
at 3:00pm local time. Sometimes the municipal alberguies would be open and
un attended until then. In Leone, at the convent, the sisters have a quiet
hour from 2:00pm to 3:00pm and all pilgrims must leave the building. You can
get checked in before 2:00 but must leave for the quiet hour. Arriving at a
refugio to find it closed and a bunch of tired pilgrims milling about in
front is a common sight. In Ponferrada the nice new municipal alberguie did
not open until 3:00pm and the hospitalaro, a German guy, sat out side with
us for about two hours eating oranges (he supplied the oranges) and talking,
then opened the door and started registering pilgrims at 3:00pm. The whole
thing seemed silly to me but he said that was the policy of the tourist
board which ran the place. It's pretty variable but I never failed to get a
bed. I hope this helps.
L&Pjjjj