Design of pack

MaryAnn May mamayaNVINET.COM
Tue Apr 17 17:48:03 PDT 2001

Hello veteran hikers.  My problem in recent years are my fragile shoulders.
Surgeries and therapy keep them working but I'm looking for a backpack that
might be designed to put weight on the hips, with the shoulder straps there
only to maintain the balance of the pack. Any ideas?

And I second the motion of carry very little!
Two items I camp with that I find are very light and compact and extremely
useful:  Sea sponge (holds amazing amount of water for sponge baths and
compresses down to nothing) and a chamois (used as a bath towel, never gets
sour, dries in a snap, rolls up into a cigar size wad). Of course, they are
both animal "products"  and that has been an obstacle  for my friends who are
vegans. But I swear by them!