Pack

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Thu Apr 12 09:14:20 PDT 2001

Dear Ellen,

I have a Kelty Red Wing (I think that's the model) that I got for the last
time I walked the pilgrimage and liked very much.  It has a fairly light
internal frame, some padding on the back, comfortably padded shoulder
straps, and a proper hip belt, decent external pockets, all valuable
backpacking features but not so usual on a small pack.  It also has a big
double U-zipper (starting low on each side and up over the top - this means
you can lay it flat and open it like a suitcase or a partner standing behind
can open the top while you've got the pack on.  It weighs 5 pounds.  I've
used it since the camino and 'm looking forward to using it again next
month.  My pack weighed five pounds so at twenty pounds total, it was a
quarter of the load.  I certainly wouldn't want to walk without the padding,
some kind of frame and hip belt.

donald