non-Catholics and communion on the Camino

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Tue Apr 3 22:16:22 PDT 2001

Hi;

I've been following this interesting discussion about communion, how people
felt about it on the Camino and who could/should participate.

I am at best an agnostic and possibly an atheist who believes that there is
probably some overall god, but my religion is "Nature".  I visited as many
of the churches, cathedrals, cloisters and monasteries as I could for
cultural, historical, musical and artistic reasons but I felt that it was
not really appropriate to attend mass.  We stayed at a refugio in Rabanal
and everyone went to a Gregorian Chant Mass before dinner so I went along
and I also attended the Mass at the Santiago Cathedral but it was filled
with tourists so I didn't consider it to be a mass limited to Catholics but
more of a show.  (I think it is unfortunate that the tourists come to see
the Botafumaro, then tour the relics and rush for their busses.)

I'll add another dimension to the discussion by asking how do Catholics and
the Catholic Church view people like me sitting quietly in the back seats at
mass and just thinking about the Camino and Nature?  I would have liked to
have attended more services but didn't feel that it was appropriate.

bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue
klamath falls, OR 97601-2337