non-Catholics and communion on the Camino

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Tue Apr 3 13:58:39 PDT 2001

Re: non-Catholics and communion on the CaminoDear Donald:

Thanks for that explanation. I agree with you that the pilgrim experience should, and I believe does, accommodate people of diverse backgrounds, belief systems and motivations. When I walked to Santiago (as well as Rome and Jerusalem) last year my fondest memories were the times I shared with others of different faiths and even one person who believed nothing at all. By providing some dates and references, it was not my intent to underscore "historical arguments about doctrine" but to shed light on the antecedents of Roman Catholic teaching in reference to transubstantiation. As a practicing Catholic I do not look upon this doctrine as a theory to be accepted, rejected or ignored. It is neither obscure nor in the realm of controversy as far as I am concerned. It is a tenet of my faith. Whatever anyone else believes is of little practical concern to me.

If I have offended you in some way, please accept my apologies.
  I'm sorry that this is all a little obscure and remains in the realm of controversy.  What seems quite clear to me is that the pilgrim practice and experience of walking together patiently and in love reveals a great deal more about our Christian and human unity than our historical arguments about doctrine.

  I offer this irenically and hope the conversation can accept it as such where we meet in a spirit of peace and delight in mysteries deeper than we can speak.

  Donald Schell