non-Catholics and communion on the Camino

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Tue Apr 3 10:19:16 PDT 2001

Just to round out your message, Jeff, transubstantiation is both dogma and doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. First adopted in 1215 by the fourth Lateran Council, it was reconfirmed by the Council of Trent in 1551, reconfirmed repeatedly since then by church leaders and theologians, and affirmed again in Pope Paul VI's encyclical Mysterium Fidei as recently as 1965. The doctrine was declared as essential to the faith of the Orthodox Church in 1672. The dogma has been repudiated by the Church of England.

Best wishes.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Jacobs
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 9:20 AM
  Subject: Re: non-Catholics and communion on the Camino

  Rosina -

  The correct spelling of transubstatiation is transubstantiation. If you will go to www.yahoo.com and type it into the search engine, you will get 27 references to it.

  Webster says:

  "the miraculous change by which according to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox dogma, the Eucharistic elements at their consecration become the body and blood of Christ  while keeping only the appearence of bread and wine".

  When I was preparing for confirmation in the Episcopal church many years ago I was taught, as I recall,  that there were 3 different dogmas re the Eucharist. The more protestant churches view it purley symbolic while the RC church adhears to the actual transmutation idea while the Episcopals believe somewhere between the two.

  Jeff

  =====