liturgies and Protestants

MJ anderson mjcandersonaWORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Apr 2 15:59:12 PDT 2001

Elyn Aviva wrote:

> ...When the priests celebrated mass and passed around the consecrated bread,
> they were quite clear that we were NOT to particate unless we were Catholic.
> Being Christian Protestant wasn't good
> enough. One of the priests did a wonderful thing the last time he celebrated
> mass, in a tiny private chapel--he had another loaf of bread that he gave to
> those of us who weren't Catholic, so we could partake... As a former seminarian
> myself (M.Div.Iliff, 1997) I do understand the importance of honoring both your
> own beliefs and those of others.

Dear Elyn and others with similar experiences. Thank you so much for your
understanding and respect for the Catholic belief of transubstantiation.  Just as
we Christians would take extra care to respect the holiest of Jewish practices,
and not be offended that Gentiles could not share,  in like manner I am touched
by your consideration.

Catholics understand the bread and wine as the actual Body and Blood of Christ,
as He said in John 6
"My flesh is food indeed and my Blood is drink indeed."  We accept this statement
as literal not symbolic because Jesus contrasts His flesh to that of manna in the
desert which was perishable, and He had just come from feeding the 5000 and knew
they sought Him out for that miracle and here Christ teaches them His flesh is
real--so real that "many left Him that day" but He did not call them back and
say, "Do not be concerned, it is only a symbol." We believe He meant to feed us
with actual, real, Divine food. Just as in Exodus it was necessary for the
passover lamb to be connsumed, the lamb of God also must be consumed so that our
passover (Salvation) is complete. This communion (Eucharist) is the seal of our
belonging to the "new and everlasting covenant."

Our sharing in this Holy Bread is a sign of belief in the True Presence of Jesus
in the flesh, and a sign of unity that "all may be one in Me as I am in you,
Father."  It is unfortunate that many Catholics do not know this and thus are
unable to adaquately explain to our Protestant brothers and sisters why we
reserve communion for all who are in communion with the Catholic Church.

There is one other good reason for the reservation of communion for those who
know and understand the gravity and the Divinity of what it is they are about to
consume. St.Paul says , "He who eats and drinks of the Body and Blood in an
unworthy manner, drinks judgment upon himself."  It would not be an act of
kindness to allow the unaware to partake and in so doing, possibly do so in a
manner that is not pleasing to God.

I can understand that some of this is very difficult for Protestants, either as a
theological point, or more so as a seeming exclusionary practice. The intent is
not to exclude, but do give honor and glory to God by exercising all due repsect
for the Sacrifice of Christ.

Thank you all for your patience.
MJ Anderson