VS: St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles

Petteri Kauppinen petteri.kauppinenaGTL.TTLIITOT.FI
Thu Dec 21 07:45:51 PST 2000

Hi, all,

I have similar type of experience from the Pyrenees as George does. I am not
yet a senior citizen (43), but I think the information in George's mail are
important to everybody.

First time I crossed them late August 1996 and - as I had practically no
knowledge of the route - I walk  all the way from St Jean on the highway. It
was pretty hard for the feet and I sure didn't love the heavy traffic.
Having a pack that weighed about 40 lbs. ( which at home felt really light
compared to the ones I was used to carry in Lapland ) didn't help much
either. On the other hand, one couldn't really get lost.

The second time, which was late April 1998, I used the napoleonian route. It
was a lot nicer and the views on the mountains were breathtaking. As I had
got a lot more information and experience of the Camiño on my previous three
and two week hikes, my pack was now only about 25 lbs., which made the climb
a lot easier.

The hard part on the latter trip was that on the mountains I was hit by a
heavy snow and hail storm. No wonder, that an English couple that I had met
on the train to St Jean had looked a bit astonished as I told them my plan
to star my walk right after the train arrived. They had seen the weather
broadcast!

In Finland we are used to snow and cold weather, but usually wearing
something else than shorts. The fortitude of the storm was also a bit more
than I was accustomed with back home. Well, my inner insulation has always
been pretty good thanks to my love for chocolate and ice-cream, so I did
survive. The hardest part for me was probably that it was pretty difficult
to keep track on the route during the storm, because the visibility had
dropped almost to zero. Luckily the storm didn't last too long.

The last couple of miles down to Roncesvalles were more of sliding than
walking. The reason was that I had opted to use 'slick' shoes that were
meant for asphalt in stead of my heavy duty hiking boots bought for Lapland.
I had decided to abandon them after my first trip, as they had been far too
warm and as most of the Camiño is on hard surface.

So, what we have to learn about George's and my experiences is that the
mountains - especially in early spring or late autumn - can be
unpredictable. The weather can change fast and a sunny day can turn into
something else. After the first few kilometers there is hardly any
habitation on the mountains, so if the weather turns really bad, it can be
wiser to double back in stead of continuing and risking to get lost.

It has been very interesting to read your comments and experiences. Merry
Christmas and a happy New Year from the Land of the Santa Claus to
everybody!

Best wishes,

Petteri Kauppinen