[Cfp-interest 3006] Re: WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes - 2024/01/10

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 09:10:29 PST 2024

> On Feb 19, 2024, at 8:34 AM, Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> wrote:
>
> On 2024-01-10 18:01:57 +0000, Rajan Bhakta wrote:
>>      [SC22WG14.24405] Comments on C23 DIS ballot comments (N3191)
>>        See [Cfp-interest 2973] DIS comment about correctly rounded result Jim Thomas
>>          Joshua: I had confusion as to what the "or" in the fix bind to.
>>          Rajan: In addition to Joshua's valid comment, this list form now may need to be updated in the future for other cases if added.
>>          David: Don't see how the input part works.
>>          Jim: Some parts have values that are operands to the operator that are correctly rounded.
>>          Joshua: Some implicit operations need to be correctly rounded. Ex. Conversion to a string. Binary to decimal needs to be correctly rounded.
>
> But only the result of an operation can be correctly rounded.
> Saying that an input is correctly rounded does not make sense.
> Operations just consider their inputs as *exact* values.

The Description for the strtodN function says: "If all subject sequences of hexadecimal form are correctly rounded, …”. I think in context the meaning will be correctly understood as: for these inputs the result delivered by the function is correctly rounded. The Description of wcstodN has the same wording.

- Jim Thomas