[Cfp-interest 2775] Re: CFP review of NB comments on CD2 - 20230602

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Tue Jun 6 20:21:06 PDT 2023

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:09:04 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>The example offered isn't about floating-point exceptions. You could have a similar example for int instead of double. The text in 9.1, "Therefore, between function calls, floating-point exceptions need not be precise: ", doesn't mean you can delay an operation just because it is exceptional.

I am assuming: an exceptional floating-point (FP) operation does two things at the same time:
  raise a FP exception
  return a FP value

So, if the time of the FP exception is not precise, then the time of the FP value is not precise.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of INCITS/C (ANSI "C")
Sample C17+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.