[Cfp-interest 2653] Re: GB-287

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Mon Jan 30 10:02:48 PST 2023

First, I've noticed a typo in H.2.2p1, which is still present
in N3088: "string-to-encodng" instead of "string-to-encoding".

On 2023-01-30 17:20:44 +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2023-01-29 21:58:05 -0800, Jim Thomas wrote:
> > > IEEE 754 requires correctly rounded conversions between all
> > > supported formats (arithmetic and non-arithmetic).
> >
> > But AFAIK, this does not apply to strings, though adding the
> > requirement for strings in C is good for the programmer.
> >
> > > Adding the hexadecimal support completed the required conversions.
> > > See H.4.3 and the example in H.12.2.
> >
> > Concerning the example in H.12.2, couldn't this be done with a cast?
>
> The issue is conversions from non-arithmetic binary interchange formats to
> (arithmetic or non-arithmetic, interchange or extended) decimal formats.
>
> You can't cast a non-arithmetic format; it's strictly an array of bytes,
> which you can convert to strings with the strfromenc functions (or to
> other same-radix interchange formats with encoding-to-encoding functions).

I see. So, they do not correspond to floating types (which makes sense,
as one cannot do arithmetic on them).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>