[Cfp-interest 2824] Re: CFP review of TS-4 and TS-5 revisions

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 17 12:57:44 PDT 2023

Here are suggestions for changes from my review so far. This list does not include suggestions made (by others or myself) in other CFP email messages.

- Jim Thomas

TS-4r
https://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp4r-20230806.pdf

Page vi, Line 26: Delete “new”.

Page vii, Line 22: Change “C18” to “C17”.

Page viii, Lines 1-3: Change:

This document includes the specification in ISO/IEC TS 18661-4 that was not incorporated into C23, namely support for reduction functions. It also includes specification to support the augmented arithmetic operations introduced in IEC 60559:2020.

to:

This document updates ISO/IEC TS 18661-4. It retains the feature that was not incorporated into C23, namely thereduction functions. It also adds support for the augmented arithmetic operations introduced in IEC 60559:2020.

Page viii, Line 4: Change “will update” to “updates”.

Page 1, Lines 12, 18, 23: Change the three occurrences of “this technical specification” to “this document”.

All Synopses, e.g. Page 3, Lines 20 and 33: Add the appropriate feature guard, e.g. change:

#ifdef __STDC_IEC_60559_BFP__
double reduc_sum(size_t n, const double p[static n]);
…
#endif
#ifdef __STDC_IEC_60559_DFP__
_DecimalN reduc_sumdN(size_t n, const _DecimalN p[static n]);
…
#endif

to:

#ifdef __STDC_IEC_60559_FUNCS_REDUCTION__
#ifdef __STDC_IEC_60559_BFP__
double reduc_sum(size_t n, const double p[static n]);
…
#endif
#ifdef __STDC_IEC_60559_DFP__
_DecimalN reduc_sumdN(size_t n, const _DecimalN p[static n]);
…
#endif
#endif

TS-5
 https://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp5r-20230806.pdf

Page iv, Line 12: Change “documents” to “document”.

Page vi, Line 26: Delete “new”.

Page vii, Line 22: Change “C18” to “C17”.

Page viii, Lines 1-4: Change:

This document includes the specification in ISO/IEC TS 18661-4 that was not incorporated into C23, namely support for reduction functions. It also includes specification to support the augmented arithmetic operations introduced in IEC 60559:2020.

A separate document will update ISO/IEC TS 18661-5, which was not incorporated into C23.

to:

A separate document updates ISO/IEC TS 18661-4. It retains the feature that was not incorporated into C23, namely the reduction functions. It also adds support for the augmented arithmetic operations introduced in IEC 60559:2020.

This document updates ISO/IEC TS 18661-5, which was not incorporated into C23.

Page 1, Lines 11, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26: In five places, change “this technical specification” to “this document”.

Page 2, Line 26: Change “this technical specification” to “this document”.

Page 2, Line 27: Change “support the attributes recommended by” to “support attributes recommended by”.

Page 12, Lines 5 and 6: Change “If the implementation defines __STDC_IEC_60559_FUNCS__ and it provides a set of correctly rounded math functions” to “If the implementation provides a set of correctly rounded math functions”.

Page 13, Lines 1-3: Change:

The implementation should produce a diagnostic message if ...

to:

Recommended practice
The implementation is encouraged to issue a diagnostic message if ...

Page 13, Line 26: Change:

1 + ⎡p×log10(2)⎤

to:

1 + ⌈p×log10(2)⌉

Page 14: Lines 1-2: Change:

—     The code does not depend on the sign of a zero result or the quantum of a decimal result for the fmin, fmax, fminmag, and fmaxmag functions when the arguments are equal.

to:

—     The code does not depend on the quantum of a result for the decimal maximum and minimum functions in C23 7.12.12 when the arguments are equal.

Page 15, Line 18: Change “(7.12.14.4)” to “(C23 7.12.14.4)”.