[Cfp-interest 2360] Re: Updated (V4) N2823

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 22:54:29 PST 2022

First, what’s really the problem?

Do the freestanding implementations in question want to define __STDC_IEC_60559_BFP__ or __STDC_IEC_60559_DFP__? That is, do they want to declare support for Annex F? If not, there’s not a problem. If they do, …

Do freestanding implementations that want to declare support for Annex F want to provide all the features of Annex F except for the parts that require “global” storage? For example, do they want to provide all the math functions? If not, just addressing the “global” storage part isn’t a solution for them still wouldn’t allow them to declare support for Annex F.

So, we can focus on freestanding implementations that want to declare support for Annex F but be exempt just from supporting the parts that require global or thread storage. The potentially relevant such parts refer to the floating-point environment (flags and modes) and the variable errno (which have thread storage) and the floating-point numeric conversion functions in stdlib.h (which use locales whose maintenance requires “global” storage).

Freestanding implementations are not required to accept strictly conforming programs that use features of <errno.h> or <locale.h>. I understand this to imply such programs cannot access the variable errno or the locale, and hence freestanding implementations need not maintain “global” storage for errno or locales (even if they provide functions whose specification references errno or locales).

This leaves the floating-point environment. Maintaining storage for the environment is necessary only if the program can read (or test) flags or change modes. A simple. direct way of addressing this would be to not require freestanding implementations to accept strictly conforming programs that set the state of the FENV_ACCESS pragma to ON (7.6.1). This could be part 1 of a 3-part proposal (described further below).

As noted in previous email, we should also allow freestanding implementations to define math_errhandling to be 0 (7.12). This will allow the feature tests for errno and floating-point exceptions to work for freestanding implementations. Alternative 3 in V6 addresses this, but the 0 option should be allowed only for freestanding implementations -- and it’s not really an alternative because it’s only for part of the problem with fenv.h. It could be part 2 of the aforementioned 3-part proposal.

A separate issue is whether the floating-point numeric conversion functions should have the same option as math functions to report errors via errno or floating-point exceptions. Alternative 2 in V6 specifies the changes, but calling it an “alternative” seems confusing. It could be part 3 of the 3-part proposal.

Part 1 of the 3-part proposal addresses the main issue. Part 2 is a programming aid for freestanding implementations. Part 3 is for consistent error reporting.

- Jim Thomas