[Cfp-interest 2318] Re: infinity and exceptions

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Jan 13 16:10:56 PST 2022

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

>> I do not see any place in the C standard that the use of
>> INFINITY shall be quiet (in most cases).  One exception is
>> INFINITY / INFINITY (which raises invalid)..
>
> and 0 * INFINITY.

Yes. So do we also need to explicitly then also mention

 	fma(0, INFINITY, c)
and
 	fma(INFINITY, 0, c)

If we are using the symbolic constant INFINITY, rather than the concept of
AN infinity, does it need to be written as

 	(+/-)INFINITY

or something similar?  Sorry, that is probably very esoteric or picky.

Do we need to list all the cases where you get an INVALID with an
infinity?

Stay safe - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer