[Cfp-interest 2507] Re: 7.12.* versus F.*

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 15:24:58 PDT 2022

> On Aug 4, 2022, at 7:38 AM, Fred J. Tydeman <tydeman at tybor.com> wrote:
>
> Am I correct in saying that the main body of the standard, in particular,
> 7.12.*, lists all possible (general) error conditions, while F.* lists
> specific error conditions?  That is, F.* is a subset of 7.12.*.

If the implementation supports reporting errors by floating-point exceptions (required by Annex F), any required error in 7.12 must have a corresponding exception and no exception can occur unless it is allowed in 7.12. See footnote 452 in N3047. This footnote applies to spurious exceptions, but 7.12 allows implementation-defined errors if they fit the definition of overflow or underflow, so it is ok for Annex F to require an exception that isn't an explicit error in 7.12.