[Cfp-interest 2426] Re: HAS_SUBNORM paper

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Sat Apr 23 10:41:30 PDT 2022

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:44:53 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>Another problem is that footnotes 27 and 28 seem to give inconsistent interpretations.  For example, with FTZ and not
>DAZ, footnote 27 implies type_HAS_SUBNORM is intended to be -1 (indeterminant) but footnote 28 implies
>type_HAS_SUBNORM is intended to be 0 (absent). Likewise for IEC 60559 arithmetic with abrupt underflow.
>
>Even with both DAZ and FTZ, footnote 27 might suggest type_HAS_SUBNORM is intended to be -1, because DAZ and
>FTZ don't apply to bit operations absolute value.
>
>Footnotes are not normative, but here they're the only clues for what it is meant by "support subnormal numbers".

Agreed.  I have uploaded to our wiki N29XX.HTM as a first pass of
the second version of the HAS_SUBNORM paper.  Comments welcome.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.