[Cfp-interest 2134] Re: AI about normal and subnormal classification

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 13:13:00 PDT 2021

There’s still the issue discussed in the CFP thread “Subnormals in decimal” about defining “normal" and “subnormal" in terms on “normalized”. Here is a alternate version that does not depend on “normalized”:

[0] Floating-point values can be classified as NaN, infinite, normal, subnormal, or zero, or into other implementation-defined categories.
Numbers whose magnitude is at least b^(emin-1) and at most (1 - b^(-p))*b^emax, where b, p, emin, and emax are as defined in 5.2.4.2.2, are classified as normal. Nonzero numbers whose magnitude is less than b^(emin-1) are classified as subnormal.

But I doubt this would be as readily meaningful to C standard readers. The significance of the bounds for normal numbers is to delineate the range of normalizable numbers. The IEC 60559 definition of “normal” includes: "Normal numbers can use the full precision available in a format."

Note that the normal number bounds here are the defining expressions for macros, e.g. FLT_MIN and FLT_NORM_MAX, that give the minimum positive normalized floating-point number and the maximum normalized floating-point number.

- Jim Thomas