[Cfp-interest 2182] Re: AI about new wording for unaccepted change

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 1 09:52:49 PDT 2021

I prefer (b).

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative (Canada, USA), PL22.11 Chair
C/C++ Compiler Development
rbhakta at us.ibm.com

IBM

From:	"Jim Thomas" <jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net>
To:	"CFP" <cfp-interest at ucbtest.org>
Date:	09/30/2021 05:49 PM
Subject:	[EXTERNAL] [Cfp-interest 2171] AI about new wording for
            unaccepted change
Sent by:	"Cfp-interest" <cfp-interest-bounces at oakapple.net>

Action item: Jim: Propose new wording for N2716's change that WG14 did not
accept as is. The suggested change in question is: Page 450, paragraph 4,
in the Example, change: The results are numerically equal, but have
different quantum exponents, ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Action item:

          Jim: Propose new wording for N2716's change that WG14 did not
      accept as is.

The suggested change in question is:

     Page 450, paragraph 4, in the Example, change:

          The results are numerically equal, but have different quantum
          exponents, hence have different values.
          The results are equal, but have different quantum exponents,
          hence have different values.

The immediately preceding text is:

     3 For expressions of decimal floating types, transformations must
     preserve quantum exponents, as well as numerical values (5.2.4.2.3).

     4 EXAMPLE 1. × x → x is valid for decimal floating-point expressions
     x, but 1.0 × x → x is not:
     1. × 12.34 = (+1, 1, 0) × (+1, 1234, ?2) = (+1, 1234, ?2) = 12.34
     1.0 × 12.34 = (+1, 10, ?1) × (+1, 1234, ?2) = (+1, 12340, ?3) = 12.340

A minimal change that responds to the reported WG14 discussion
[Cfp-interest 2128] would be:

     a) The results compare equal, but have different quantum exponents,
     hence have different values.

However, we haven’t used “compare equal” in the subclauses. I think a more
direct statement would be:

     b) The results are not equivalent because they have different quantum
     exponents.

Please let me know ASAP if you prefer a) or b) or something else.