[Cfp-interest 2259] Fwd: [SC22WG14.20798] Overflow, normalized numbers, N2805 and N2806

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 9 10:32:56 PST 2021

With Joseph’s approval, I’m forwarding to CFP this message from a private thread with him.

- Jim Thomas

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Jim Thomas <jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [SC22WG14.20798] Overflow, normalized numbers, N2805 and N2806
> Date: November 2, 2021 at 1:19:49 PM PDT
> To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery.com>
>
> Thanks for the clarifications and suggestions. I believe I understand your concerns now. I’ll review the CFP proposals with them in mind and think how to proceed.
>
> - Jim
>
>> On Nov 2, 2021, at 11:04 AM, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021, Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm. N2806 says floating types shall be able to represent all normalized
>>> floating-point numbers. Floating-point numbers are given by the formula
>>> where emin <= e <= emax. N2806 says such numbers are normalized if f_1 >
>>> 0. Thus for all e such that emin <= e <= emax, the normalized
>>> floating-point numbers include all values represented by the formula
>>> with f_1 > 0 and without constraint on f_i, and they all must be
>>> represented in the type. Isn’t this P(e)? Would it help to make the
>>> absence of constraint on f_i explicit?

[From a previous message from Joseph: I think that with the old wording, a value with exponent e is only
normalized if f_1 > 0 and e <= e_max and P(e).  Where P(e) is the
proposition: all values represented by the formula (for all possible
choices of the f_i), with that value of e, are representable in the type.]