[Cfp-interest 1947] WG14 202103 results of CFP papers

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 23 12:13:42 PDT 2021

I didn't see a note from Fred, but if he did send one, sorry for the
repeat.

The last WG14 meeting went well. The results of the CFP papers are as
follows (all passed except one paper which needs some work):

Missing DEC_EVAL_METHOD [N 2640]
  Straw poll: Does WG14 want to adopt N2640 into C23?
    18/0/1. Consensus.

Missing +(x) in table [N 2641]
  Straw poll: Does WG14 want to adopt N2641 into C23?
    16/0/1. Consensus.

Quantum exponent of NaN [N 2642]
  Joseph: Is the 1^Inf if 1 has a quantum exponent of !zero is the only
case it is undefined?
    The quantum exponent would be -ve infinity since the 1 has a non-zero
quantum exponent.
    Fred: I believe 754 says the quantum exponent is zero unless said
otherwise.
    Joseph: I believe it is specified otherwise. Which rule takes
precedence? As close to -Inf or 0?
    Fred: I will go back to 754 for this.
  Ballman: What are the odds IEEE give different words than this here? If
they get something different we'd have another problem.
    Fred: 754 deferred to CFP in the past so I believe they'd do the same.
It's possible it could be done otherwise.

  *Action Item*: Fred: Update N2642 (quantum exponent of NaN) as per IEEE's
response to the Q(1) is -ve for pow(1,INF).

Negative [N 2643]
  Straw poll: Does WG14 want to adopt N2643 into C23?
    16/1/4. Consensus.

Regards,

Rajan Bhakta
z/OS XL C/C++ Compiler Technical Architect
ISO C Standards Representative (Canada, USA), PL22.11 Chair
C/C++ Compiler Development
rbhakta at us.ibm.com

IBM