[Cfp-interest 2039] Re: remquo()

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 16:27:47 PDT 2021

We currently have

F.10.7.3 The remquo functions

1 The remquo functions follow the specifications for the remainder functions. They have no further specifications special to IEC 60559 implementations.

2 When subnormal results are supported, the returned value is exact and is independent of the current rounding direction mode.

We can remove the second sentence in #1, since we’re adding further specification. Fred’s suggested sentence could be a second paragraph. Subnormals are supported with Annex F, so the first part of current #2 is not needed. With these changes we would have

F.10.7.3 The remquo functions

1 The remquo functions follow the specifications for the remainder functions.

2 If a NaN is returned, the value stored in the object pointed to by quo is unspecified.

3 The returned value is exact and is independent of the current rounding direction mode.

- Jim Thomas