[Cfp-interest 2075] Re: AI about history of float and _Float32 being separate and distinct types.

David Olsen dolsen at nvidia.com
Sat Jul 24 17:10:50 PDT 2021

>> How hard is it for a C/C++ compiler to treat the types as incompatible in C mode and differently in C++ mode?

In the current C++ proposal, std::float32_t (which is the closest C++ equivalent to _Float32) and float must be different types.  See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1467r4.html#alias-alias
In this area, the C and C++ proposals are compatible.  I do not expect that any differences between C and C++ for floating-point types will be a burden on implementers of combined C/C++ compilers.