[Cfp-interest 2065] Re: Underflow

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Tue Jul 20 09:52:25 PDT 2021

> My naive expectation would be that if nothing else, underflow is set =
consistently with the result; so if you raise underflow, the result must =
have magnitude <=3D min_normal.

I might be losing the thread here, but It's about ERANGE, right?

Is it possible to specify in general, underflow ERANGE SHALL BE indicated when
the computed result is subnormal or inexact zero.

But for implementations claiming IEEE conformance, underflow ERANGE MAY also
be indicated when an IEEE underflow exception is signaled (and thus might
correspond to exact subnormal or inexact minimum normal or alternate
exception handling).    Note that IEEE underflow can be signaled with no
visible effect, as for exact subnormal results.