[Cfp-interest 2045] Re: Underflow

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Thu Jul 1 21:41:24 PDT 2021

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 21:01:44 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>> I would prefer:
>>
>> [6] The result underflows if a nonzero result value, before rounding,
>> would have magnitude (absolute value) less than the minimum normalized
>> number in the type.249
>
>This seems to assume a model where a wider precision result is computed and then rounded to the result format. C
>doesn't have that model for math functions.

Both
  Float from Float * Float, eg (MinFloat*(1.f+FLT_EPSILON))  *  ( 1.f - FLT_EPSILON)  is MinFloat after rounding
  Float from Float / Float
Are not wider precision (everything done as Float), but have a rounding.

>> Also, I believe that "inexact" should be added to the footnote as:
>>
>> 249)The term underflow here is intended to encompass both "gradual
>> underflow" as in IEC 60559 and also "flush-to-zero" underflow. IEC
>> 60559 underflow can occur in cases where the magnitude of the inexact
>> rounded result equals the minimum normalized number in the format.
>
>Change "the inexact" to "an inexact".

OK

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.