[Cfp-interest 2122] Re: AI to update proposal about C overflow and underflow definitions

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Wed Aug 25 05:18:03 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-23 15:48:24 -0700, Jim Thomas wrote:
> A fair question is whether the latitude in the definition is
> unnecessary, because it’s easy enough to determine exact zeros for
> the particular functions in the C library. If so, we could just say
> “however, an exact zero result does not underflow.”

Is it known that the zeros of the lgamma function cannot be
machine numbers? (e.g. if they are transcendental numbers).

But I think that the text should be valid for additional functions
that could be supported by future standards, with the same kind of
issue.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>