[Cfp-interest 2105] Subnormals in decimal

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at speleotrove.com
Wed Aug 18 06:45:24 PDT 2021

As promised, I checked how I originally defined this for decimal numbers;
links to the full document are at:
http://speleotrove.com/decimal/#arithmetic

The most pertinent section is at:
http://speleotrove.com/decimal/damodel.html which states:

"In any context where exponents are bounded most finite numbers are normal.
Non-zero finite numbers whose adjusted exponents are greater than or equal
to Emin are called normal numbers; those non-zero numbers whose adjusted
exponents are less than Emin are called subnormal numbers."

[8] <http://speleotrove.com/decimal/damodel.html#backref.8> 	 That is,
numbers whose absolute value is non-zero and is closer to zero than ten to
the power of Emin.

'Adjusted exponent' is defined earlier in that section, and is, in effect, a
normalized exponent but described independently of encodings etc.

This does avoid the use of the term 'normalized', which perhaps avoids the
entanglement we discussed yesterday.

Mike