[Cfp-interest 1978] Re: ties to away

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Wed Apr 14 22:53:33 PDT 2021

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021, Paul Zimmermann wrote:

> while looking for the support of the roundTiesToAway IEEE 754-2019
> rounding attribute in n2596.pdf, I noticed on page 440 in the bottom
> table there is "roundToIntegralTiesAway" whereas all other occurrences
> are "...TiesToAway" (for example in the table pages 441-442, pages 443,
> 444, ...), and also page 440 it is "roundToIntegralTiesToEven".
>
> Should "roundToIntegralTiesAway" on page 440 be replaced by
>       "roundToIntegralTiesToAway"?

Yes. Eagle eyes.

Sadly, somewhere between 1985 and 2008 the English got corrupted.

When the committee added the concepts of

 	cases rounded away from zero

 	case rounded to even

there was an extra preposition added in front of 'away' when the names
used in the IEEE standard were chosen. And we are stuck with it.

It must have been done by the same group of people who say 'rate of speed'
when they just mean 'speed' (and not the acceleration which is the exact
meaning of rate of speed) and 'straight-away' when they mean 'straight'.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer