[Cfp-interest 1775] Re: Exact subnormal results

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Tue Sep 22 17:23:11 PDT 2020

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020, Fred J. Tydeman wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:43:03 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Also, a range error occurs if the mathematical result is beyond the
>>> range where all values can be represented in an object of the
>>> specified type, to the full precision of the type.footnote footnote:
>>> Exact subnormal results are a range error.
>>>
>> Consider changing the footnote to "A range error occurs if the function
>> result is subnormal, even if the mathematical result is represented
>> exactly in the type."
>
> I believe it is possible to get an exact range error near overflow for
> double-double.
>
> PS.  I got 6 copies of your email.  3 direct to me and 3 via the list (each with different number).

Ditto.

Also, even without Fred's comment, the proposed change does not seem to
capture all of the original. But for now, I have nothing better to offer
to my shame. I will think harder on it.

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer