[Cfp-interest 1831] Re: pow() and signaling NaN

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Oct 29 15:12:35 PDT 2020

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020, Jim Thomas wrote:

> F.2.1 #3 says ?? This annex uses the term NaN, unless explicitly
> qualified, to denote quiet NaN ??.

I see a "twin question mark" symbol in your email Jim. I assume it is
really a double quote symbol.

Anyway, is this not different from the IEEE 754? At least as I read the
standard, the term NaN with lower case 'a' means either qNaN or sNaN.

It does match the symbolic constant NAN which is always a quiet NaN.

Do we have to use language which is that much different from the IEEE 754
(IEC 60559) standard or is there too much history behind its usage in the
C standard that it is too hard to change?

Regards - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer