[Cfp-interest 1823] Preferred quantum exponent

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Mon Oct 26 22:52:45 PDT 2020

I believe that the following (or similar):

  The preferred quantum exponent for finite specified return values in this sub-clause is 0.

should be added to C23 Annex F in F.10.

Reason

5.2.4.2.3#7 has a table of preferred quantum exponents.
For example, cbrt has Q(x)/3 as its preferred quantum exponent.

Annex F has many specifications of return values.
For example, cbrt(+/-0) return +/-0.

So, what is supposed to be returned for cbrtd64(0.e-300DD)?
Is it 0.e-100DD based upon the table in 5.2.4.2.3?
Or, should it be 0.e0DD (the natural zero)?

I raised a similar question to the IEEE-754 email list and the one
reply I got is:  This sounds like a bug fix for the next revision -

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.