[Cfp-interest 1787] Re: totalorder

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 6 15:14:32 PDT 2020

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Fred J. Tydeman <tydeman at tybor.com> wrote:
>
> Why does the C2x version of totalorder return an int instead of a _Bool?

The only such uses of _Bool in the standard library in C18 are in <stdatomic.h>. Draft C2X also uses _Bool for the samequantumdN functions in <math.h>. I don’t recall how the samequantumdN functions came to use _Bool. Has WG14 discussed this?

> The IEEE-754 version returns a boolean.

I don’t think this is relevant to the C binding.

Maybe whether and when to use _Bool in the C library are questions for WG14?

- Jim Thomas