[Cfp-interest 1577] new sendmail installed on oakapple.net/ucbtest.org

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Sat May 16 21:07:00 PDT 2020

I have a long-standing action item to update mailman.    On the way,
sendmail started failing due to my lack of current TLS support - and then
fetchmail started failing for the same reason.    The sendmail failures
affected addresses @aol.com, which didn't matter for this list, and then
 @nvidia.com, which made it impossible for Dave Olsen to receive messages
from this list.

I am pleased to have somehow managed to upgrade sendmail to the last
release and incorporate current OpenSSL as well.     And now aol.com and
nvidia.com are willing to talk to my mail servers.
However I am not so naive to believe that I have inserted no surprising
new bugs and shortcomings into the sendmail upgrade.

Upgrading mailman itself remains a project for the future.

People running current Linux distributions on current Intel hardware are
spared most of this grief.    But upgrading system administration scripts
from SPARC/Solaris 10 to Intel/Linux is not a project on which I wish
to devote my twilight years, if I can avoid it.