[Cfp-interest 1722] Re: short hex strings

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Fri Jul 24 08:23:29 PDT 2020

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 17:10:01 +0200 Paul Zimmermann wrote:

>for this kind of thing, I find giving a concrete example is very helpful for
>the reader to understand the issue. The initial example where 3 can print as
>0x2p+1 or 0x3p0 or 0x6p-1 or 0xcp-2 would be nice to add (interestingly, we
>can't have 1 for the first hexadecimal digit, assuming rounding is to nearest).

Yes we can have 0x1p+1 or  0x1p+2 (which I contend are the correct output
if an implementation is only using 1 bit to the left of the radix point).

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.