[Cfp-interest 1716] Re: short hex strings

Jim Thomas jaswthomas at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 23 15:43:57 PDT 2020

I like it, except C doesn’t refer to hexadecimal formats. How about

This implementation choice affects numerical values printed with a precision P that is insufficient to represent all values exactly. Implementations with different conventions about the most significant hexadecimal digit will round at different places, affecting the numerical value of the hexadecimal result. Portable code seeking identical numerical results on different platforms should avoid precisions P that require rounding.

- Jim Thomas