[Cfp-interest 1492] Re: Range errors

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Tue Feb 18 20:05:55 PST 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, Fred J. Tydeman wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:04:52 -0800 Jim Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> The cosh functions
>>> Change 7.12.5.4#2 from
>>>
>>> A range error occurs if the magnitude of x is too large.
>>>
>>> A range error occurs if the magnitude of (positive or negative) finite x is too large.
>
>> "the magnitude of" cannot be deleted here.
>
> Why?
>
> What is the difference between:
>
> the magnitude of (positive or negative) finite x is too large
>
> the value of (positive or negative) finite x is too large
>
> (positive or negative) finite x is too large

Are you trying to eliminate the word 'magnitude' here?

Any chance we can have a mathematical definition for those in contention?

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer