[Cfp-interest 1750] Re: Underflow range error

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Sun Aug 16 11:46:36 PDT 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:10:18 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>Or, we might explicitly regard exact underflow to be a range error condition. For example, add after the first sentence in #6
>
> Then a range error occurs, even if the value can be exactly represented in the specified type. ...

It seems strange to me the fdim(x,y) would be an underflow range error
when x-y as a subtract operation with the same operands is not.
Both are exact subnormal results.  And fdim() is defined as x-y.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.