[Cfp-interest 1431] Re: intmax_t

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Wed Oct 23 19:53:34 PDT 2019

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 19:15:24 -0700 Jim Thomas wrote:

>A more detailed summary of the issue would be helpful. Is WG14 obsolescing intmax_t? It was particularly useful for the (u)?fromfp(x)? functions which meet the IEC60559 requirement for conversions between its floating-point formats and all integer formats.

Since intmax_t is part of function prototypes, it is hard coded in the ABI.
So, if an implementation adds an extended integer type  (such as 128 bit)
that is wider than long long, intmax_t will no longer be the widest integer
type.  It is not clear to me what the committee will do with intmax_t, but
we agree that it does not meet its design goal.  See N2425.

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.