[Cfp-interest 1239] WG14 IEEE 754-C binding meeting minutes 2019/01/24

Rajan Bhakta rbhakta at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 24 10:43:26 PST 2019

  Attendees: Rajan, Jim, Ian, Fred, Mike, David H

  New agenda items:
    None.

  Carry over action items:
    Ian: See if there is an incompatibility between C and C++ for
constants being evaluated to a wider format (Ex. FLT_EVAL_METHOD affects
constants in C++, and wider return values) - Keep open.
    Jim: Update the binding table in parts 1 and 2 to handle the new
IEEE-754:2018 functions when published. - Keep open.
    David: Check the min/max C specification to ensure it matches what
IEEE has. - Not done.
    David: Check the augmented* C function specifications to ensure they
match what IEEE has. - Not done.
    All: totalorder* differ for NaN payloads: Note that we don’t have
approval to move up to 754 201x yet. - Keep open: Revisit after we move up
to the 754 draft.
    Fred: Ensure that the items for P4_CR_for_rootn.pdf match IEEE. -
Done.

  Last meeting action items:
    Ian: Find the C++ standard reference and macro name for their handling
of floating point literals. - See CFP1236, Done.
    Jim: Let the WG14 editors know that we are waiting for the Part 1
integrated draft before putting in Part 2. - Done.
    Fred: Provide words for a macro for printf n-char-sequence maximum
length that the implementations have to define. - Done.
    Jim: Provide the NaN payload specification editorial updates (positive
signed floating point integers) to the WG14 editors. - Done. Discussed
below.

  New action items:
    Jim: Post the draft of Part 1 integrated into C2x on the CFP site.
    Jim: Make the first change as per CFP1238.
    Jim: Rework Part 3 as an Annex to add a note saying there is no
_Decimal32x since IEC60559 doesn't have _Decimal32 as a basic type.
    Jim: Make the _EPSILON change as per CFP1238.
    Jim: Make the forth change as per CFP1238 to add in the hyperbolic
versions of cos/sin/tan.
    Jim: Make the fifth change as per CFP1238 for the list changes.
    All: Take a look at part 3 annex (
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp3x-annex-20190119.pdf) draft before
next meeting.
    Jim: Update the proposal to try again to integrate part 4a into C2X.
    David: Check with IEEE group to see if there is any implementations
for Part 4b functions (hardware or software).
    All: Review the rationale for part 5 a, b, c proposal.
    All: Review
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/update_for_C2X_payload_functions.pdf.
    Rajan: Say to WG14 that CFP supports removing the WANT macros and
leaving the rest as is due to Fred's reasoning above.
    Rajan: Check with David to see if we are going to discuss the WANT
macro issue on the agenda.
    Fred: Send links to papers of interest to CFP from N2319-N2323.

  Next Meeting(s):
    Wednesday, February 20th, 2019, 11:00 EST, 8:00 PST, 4PM UTC
    Same teleconference number.

    754 revision:
      Moved to sponsor ballot until February 20th.
      Got 4 votes, need 33 more for a valid ballot. Need 3/4 for approval.
      Set up ballot review committee.
      Still a number of open suggestions to deal with.
      Have a document listing new features and describing older ones that
are often misunderstood. See http://754r.ucbtest.org/background/

    C++ Liaison:
      None.

    C2X integration:
      WG14 meeting pre-meeting mailing deadline: March 18th, 2019.
        Meeting information:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n2318.htm, Venue
information N2308 (linked to in the agenda).

      Part 1:
        We have a draft of this integrated in already. It is being
reviewed already by Fred.
        *Jim: Post the draft of Part 1 integrated into C2x on the CFP
site.

      Part 2:
        Need to rebase on Part 1 + C2x draft and then send it out to the
WG14 editors for Part 2 integration.

      Part 3: Draft annex for review (
http://wiki.edg.com/pub/CFP/WebHome/cfp3x-annex-20190119.pdf)
        Also see Fred’s email [Cfp-interest 1231]