[Cfp-interest] 754 working group report

David Hough CFP pcfp at oakapple.net
Fri Sep 21 10:48:44 PDT 2018

I will be off the grid on September 25 and don't expect to be able to
call into the CFP teleconference, though I will try.

The sponsor ballot invitation response period ends Sep 28; after that
time it will not be possible to join the sponsor ballot group.

We have a number of consensus comments that we've agreed to, that make
minor modifications to the wording; these we expect to incorporate into
the final standard.

There are a couple of areas where consensus seems unlikely, so there will
be individual comments on each side of these issues.

After the sponsor ballot period closes, the 754 working group will have to
respond to all comments submitted through the proper process.
Respond might mean "accept" or "reject and explain why".

After the IEEE 754 revision is approved, the IEC can initiate the procedure
to adopt the standard:

https://standards.ieee.org/about/policies/opman/sect5.html#5.6.1

754's work has been greatly aided by comments received from the CFP group,
who have gotten furthest along in defining a language binding to the full
754 standard.