[Cfp-interest] Not trigger sNaN

Mike Cowlishaw mfc at speleotrove.com
Mon Sep 17 08:08:46 PDT 2018

Makes sense .. thanks.

Mike

  _____

From: Eric Schwarz [mailto:eschwarz at us.ibm.com]
Sent: 17 September 2018 13:26
To: Mike Cowlishaw
Cc: cfp-interest at oakapple.net; 'Jim Thomas'
Subject: RE: [Cfp-interest] Not trigger sNaN

Mike,

I don't remember defining the sameQuantum operation.
I think it was to compare exponents or as a compare units instruction
and used it to determine whether the result had the expected quantum.
This was before IBM architecture came up with a flag for quantum exceptions
and
before we figured out we could test the most significant digit for non-zero.
So if we are just testing a result for correct units, we don't want to
trigger exceptions,
though we may want to force it into the correct units.
An example is we have a table of data to output that should have the units
of 10^-2, we
test each data item before converting the significand to BCD and outputting
the
data. Probably figured SNaNs would have already been seen by this point and
not a point in the program where we want to take any exceptions.

Regards,
Eric

eschwarz at us.ibm.com